The Cliff Berry brand has been a leader in providing comprehensive environmental services for over 60 years. We assist our customers in developing programs that are cost-effective and minimize risk to the environment. Our goal is to provide excellent service standards while ensuring the highest degree of health and safety.
Essential Job Functions
The Field Chemist is responsible for profiling various waste streams received by the company for disposal, creating the required documentation (both internal to CBI and for a client) to properly document a waste stream and assist in providing safety-related interpretations for clients and CBI employees.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures Health and Safety is the number one goal by following policies, processes, and acting in a safe manner at all times
- Review Disposal Services Department billing and documentation for compliance with CBI policies
- Review all non-routine waste streams prior to proposals being offered for services related to waste handling and disposal company-wide
- Work with CBI operational personnel to identify proper handling procedures and safety protocols as related to waste streams we handle
- Strong ability to work independently and with a team
- Identify and vet waste treatment facilities, to properly dispose of wastes CBI manages
- Properly identify, classify, package and label hazardous materials and waste when attending a waste management site
- Ensure compatibility of waste within containers and within DOT and EPA compatibility guidelines
- Arrange to sample and interpret lab results when needed to properly classify waste materials
- Enter profiles into the computer database and handle approvals at disposal facilities
- Requires rotating weekend coverage every other weekend
- Work after hours and on weekends as needed (Cliff Berry, Inc. is a 24/7/365 operation and as such will be required nonstandard working times in some cases)
- Travel to company, job, and customer site/locations as required
- Supervise and provide safety instruction on job sites as needed via expertise in chemistry, MSDS and field experience
- Write site safety plans as needed
- Once qualified, participate in the after-hours duty rotation
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned from time to time by management
The ability to understand and analyze a customer’s business, allowing for the identification of job requirements. Must pass a HAZMAT physical, including a pulmonary function test that permits wearing a full face respirator
The employee is frequently required to stand, sit, stoop or walk in the performance of essential duties and responsibilities of this job. The employee should test in the acceptable range for vision, hearing, and respiratory functions.
Specific physical requirements include the following:
- Ability to lift 10-20 pounds on a consistent daily basis
- Ability to stand, sit or walk for a minimum of 4 hours while conducting regular work duties
- Ability to respond to voice commands
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform essential job duties.
The characteristics described here are representative of the typical work conditions while performing the essential functions of this job. The employee may be exposed to extreme temperatures, wet and/or humid conditions, hazardous and non-hazardous chemicals and material.
Cliff Berry Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to that individual's race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.